I am always looking for new ways to declutter and organize my life. Today on Happiest Camper, we show you How To Sew A Rectangle Zipper Pouch! This is a super simple sewing project that you make in about half an hour or less depending on your skill level. This cute little zipper pouch is great for art supplies, beauty products, accessories, and more. It has so many uses. I made a few so I could use one for art supplies, and one as a smaller beauty essentials kit I can take with me on the go. This sewing project is great for beginners or anyone wanting to add some nice storage options for their stuff. The included free pattern makes it easy to cut out your fabric to the right size and shape. The best part is that you can make these for under $4.00 depending on how many supplies you already have on hand. That is much cheaper than buying a comparably sized pouch in the store. You could also personalize these little zipper pouches and give them as gifts to friends and family. These pouches are a great way to organize small items, so make a few for all your accessory odds and ends.
For my pouches, I used a medium-weight decor fabric so they would stand up to some abuse. You could also use something like a heavy duck canvas if you wanted to make them super sturdy. Just make sure whatever you use that your sewing machine is up for the task. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a few extra sewing needles on hand in case one breaks on you. I also highly recommend getting a rotary cutter, mat, & ruler. The rotary cutter makes quick, precise cuts no matter the fabric, and the cutting mat protects your surfaces from getting Gather up your supplies from the list below and let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
- ½ yard of home décor of medium weight cotton fabric
- 1 14” zipper
- Free Pattern
- Matching Thread
- Measuring tape
- Thread nippers
- Sewing machine
- Zipper foot
- Fabric marker
- Optional Rotary Cutter & Mat
- Iron and ironing board or iron mat
How To Sew A Rectangle Zipper Pouch
Start this how to sew a rectangle zipper pouch sewing tutorial by washing, drying, and ironing your fabric. I like to start almost all of my projects this way. It makes the fabric easier to work with and acts as a preshrink for the fabric. Pressing it makes it easier to cut out my fabric pieces. Once you have done that, use the included free pattern to cut out your fabric by folding your fabric right sides together and pinning the pattern to your fabric. Cut out your fabric pieces and use your pins or a fabric marker to indicate your darts on the wrongs side of the fabric.
Next, match up your dart lines from the pattern and sew along the lines. Make sure you do a backstitch at the beginning and end of your stitches to reinforce them.
Now on this zipper pouch sewing tutorial, turn each piece of your zipper pouch right side down. Fold over the top edge ½” and press. Turn the pieces of your zipper pouch right side up. Turn the zipper right side up and unzip. Line up the pressed edge of the fabric to the flat edge of the zipper and pin or clip into place.
Attach your zipper foot to your machine and sew your zipper to each side of your zipper pouch.
Now on this how to sew a rectangle zipper pouch sewing tutorial, Place your zipper pouch right sides together, making sure the bottom and the darts all lineup and pin or clip into place. Unzip your zipper just a bit so that when you finish sewing, you will be able to turn it right side out.
Using a ½” seam allowance, sew along the sides and bottom, making sure to reinforce on either side at the top.
For the final step in this zipper pouch sewing tutorial, unzip your zipper and turn your zipper pouch right side out. Press it one final time.
And that’s it! Now you know how to sew a rectangle zipper pouch! This is such a quick and easy sewing project. You can never have too many of these in my opinion. Let us know in the comments what you plan to do with yours! We love hearing from our readers.
If you liked learning how to sew a rectangle zipper pouch, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board or share it with friends on social media. If you decide to make this simple project on your own, make certain that you take a picture afterward and tag us on social media as we love seeing the fabrics and color choices that people use!
- Print and cut out the free pattern.
- Fold your fabric right sides together and pin the pattern to your fabric.
- Cut out the pattern. Be sure to use your pins or a fabric marker to indicate your darts on the wrongs side of the fabric.
- Match up your dart lines and sew along the lines, making sure you reinforce when you begin and end your stitching.
- Turn each piece of your zipper pouch right side down. Fold over the top edge ½” and press.
- Turn the pieces of your zipper pouch right side up.
- Turn the zipper right side up and unzip.
- Line up the pressed edge of the fabric to the flat edge of the zipper and pin or clip into place.
- Attach your zipper foot to your machine and attach your zipper to each side of your zipper pouch.
- Place your zipper pouch with right sides together, making sure the bottom and the darts all line up and pin or clip into place.
- Unzip your zipper just a bit so that when you finish sewing, you will be able to turn it right side out.
- Using a ½” seam allowance, sew along the sides and bottom, making sure to reinforce on either side at the top.
- Unzip your zipper, turn your zipper pouch right side out and press.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
YAKA 60 Pack 14 inch Mix Nylon Coil Zippers Bulk - Supplies Zippers for Tailor Sewing Crafts (20 Color)
Pack of 1pcs Zipper Foot and 1pcs Invisible Zipper Foot for All Low Shank Snap-On Singer, Brother, Babylock, Janome, Kenmore, Juki, New Home, Elna
Best Beginner Sewing Machines
Fiskars Crafts 95237097J Rotary Sewing Cutting Set (3 Piece), Grey
4-Pack Turquoise All Purpose Sewing Thread
LIVINGO Premium Tailor Scissors Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose Titanium Coating Forged Stainless Steel Sewing Fabric Leather Dressmaking Softgrip Shears Professional Crafting (9.5 INCH)