Hanging Kitchen Towel Easy Sewing Project
With one row of sewing and a button, you can make a hanging kitchen towel. This is one of those projects that is so easy and obvious, but you will use it every day. Hang the hand towel on the handle of your oven so you always have a place to dry your hands. The button makes it less likely for other folks (kids and husbands?) to move the towel, but it is easy enough to remove when you need to use the potholder.
All the supplies to make this hanging kitchen towel are available at the dollar store or your favorite big box retailer making it budget friendly. I can make two for less than $5. Add a set of cooking utensils to make a thoughtful gift too. They are perfect for house-warming, wedding, and moving out/college gifts. If you know the recipient’s colors in their kitchen, it is easy to find towels and pot holders to match. I have given several sets away over the years, and they are always well-received. Let’s get started!
Hanging Kitchen Towel Supplies:
A sewing machine makes this project even faster, but it is optional.
First, fold the towel in thirds lengthwise so that it is roughly the same width as the pot holder. You can measure if you’d like, but I just eyeball it. We’re going for quick and easy on this project!
Next fold the towel and the pot holder in half to form a crease down the centers.
Place the pot holder on top of the folded towel with right sides together, and line up the seams. Use a couple of clips or pins to hold it in place.
Sew along the crease. This can be done by machine or by hand. I had to put the feed dogs down on my machine to get the layers of towel and pot holder under my needle. Then I put the feed dogs back up to sew. Be sure to backstitch at both ends to secure.
You’re almost done! I told you this project was quick and easy.
Flip the top half of the kitchen towel behind the pot holder and bottom half.
Now sew a button to the top center of the pot holder. Choose a button that fit through the loop of the pot holder easily while being large enough to hold it in place. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I had to run to the dollar store to purchase a sewing kit for this step. If I could do it with my sewing machine, I would!
That’s it! Your new hanging kitchen towel is machine washable too. I promise you will use them multiple times a day and want to make more. I would love to make a set with fun designs on them, campers or chickens perhaps. It would be fun to have different sets for the holidays too.
- Kitchen Hand Towel
- Rectangle Pot Holder
- Sewing Machine (optional)
- Fold the towel in thirds lengthwise so that it is roughly the same width as the pot holder.
- Fold the towel and the pot holder in half to create a crease down the centers.
- Place the pot holder on top of the towel with right sides together, and line up the seams.
- Clip or pin in place.
- Sew along the seam with a sewing machine or by hand.
- Flip the top half of the towel behind the pot holder and bottom half.
- Sew a button in the top center of the pot holder.
- Supplies available at the dollar store
- Make sure your button fits through the loop of the potholder but is large enough to hold the towel in place
- Put the feed dogs down on your sewing machine to fit the towel under the needle. Then raise them before sewing.
- Add kitchen utensils for the perfect gift