We have a fun new sewing project for you! Today on Happiest Camper, we are going to show you How To Sew A Flapper Dress With Free Pattern! When my sewing friend, Debbie, showed me this pattern I just had to make it. If you love dresses with ruffles, this will be right up your alley. This dress is so versatile simply by fabric choice. You could use cotton for a swirly flirty dress or chiffon for a sultry playful finish. Whatever you decide, you will be comfortably chic with this fun dress! I went with a fun print fabric, but you could do a solid color if you wanted. I don’t own any dresses like this, so I was excited to make this one. It is comfortable for all-day wear and I like the style of the ruffles. The included free sewing pattern helps you cut out the right shape for your ruffles and size this dress for the perfect fit. That is one of my favorite things about making my own clothes. I am starting to get a diy wardrobe full of clothes that fit me better than anything else and I am not complaining about putting the work in to make it happen.
Depending on the fabric you choose, this could be a dress that is perfect for a night out or for just running errands around town. I can’t wait to wear this on our next date night and give it a twirl. Gather up your supplies from the list below and let’s get started making this fun dress!
What You’ll Need:
- 2.5 Yards Of 60″ Wide Fabric – lightweight cotton, rayon, challis , georgette
- Free Pattern
- Matching Thread
- Measuring tape
- Thread nippers
- Sewing machine
- Rotary Cutter, Mat, & Ruler
If you need to adjust the pattern, be sure to check our post on Pattern Grading – How to Scale a Pattern Up and Down!
This free flapper dress pattern has layers so that you can choose to print only the size you need. To achieve this Adobe Reader must be installed on your machine or device. Adobe Reader allows you to click on the layers icon which will show you each size with an eyeball beside it. Click on the eyeball beside the size you do not want to print.
Before printing check that your printer is set to No scaling or Actual size. Set the Page orientation to Auto or Portrait. And then print page 1. Measure the 2” test square to see if it measures exactly 2”. If it does, print the remaining pages.
Cut off the right and top margins of each printed page before assembling the pattern. You can use tape or school glue to adhere your paper pattern together.
After the pages have been printed and trimmed as instructed above, use the quarter circles located at the corner of each page for perfect alignment. When done your pattern should look like this:
Pattern Pieces Checklist
Once you have printed and assembled your pattern you will cut:
- Dress Front – Cut each tier on fold x2 , eight pieces in total
- Overlay – Cut each tier on fold x 2, eight pieces in total
Use a 3/8” seam allowance unless otherwise instructed.
How To Sew A Flapper Dress With Free Pattern
Once you have the pattern printed out and assembled, I like to wash, dry, and iron my fabric before I cut it according to the pattern. This gives me nice, crisp cut lines. Now on this how to sew a flapper dress with free pattern sewing tutorial, cut out your fabric pieces.
Pin the front and back of each tier for your dress right sides together at the side seams. Sew using a 3/8” seam allowance. Repeat these steps for the overlay pieces for each tier.
Fold straps right sides together and sew, leaving a gap to turn. Turn right sides out.
Pin the straps to the Tier 1 Overlay,1/2” away from the armhole curve. Repeat for all the straps. Baste the straps in place.
Next on this how to sew a flapper dress with free pattern, turn the Tier 1 Overlay wrong side out, turn dress tier wrong side out. Insert the overlay inside the dress layer.
Align at the neck and arms and pin. Sew the pieces together with a 3/8” seam allowance.
Hem tier 1 overlay by folding it 1/4” and another 1/4” and sew. We are about halfway through this how to sew a flapper dress with free pattern!
Hem tier 2,3,4 overlays in the same way. Also, repeat those steps to hem Dress tier 4 in the same manner.
Sew a gathering stitch in overlay tiers 2,3,4 and pull on the gathering threads.
Place the overlay layer on top of the dress layer as follows so that both layers are right sides up. Place overlay 2 to dress tier 2, overlay 3 to dress tier 3, and overlay 4 to dress tier 4. Completing the gathering process so the two layers are the same size.
This is what you should have after tier 1 and tier 2 has been sewn together.
Fold back the overlay layer for tier 2 and prepare to attach tier 3.
Pin tier 3 to tier 2. Repeat the same process to sew tiers 3 and 4 together.
And that’s it! Now you know how to sew a flapper dress with free pattern! This is such a fun dress! If you love ruffles like I do, this dress will be a regular in your rotation. When people ask me where I buy dresses like this, I love telling them that I made it myself and could help them do the same!
If you liked this how to sew a flapper dress with free pattern, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board or share it with friends on social media. If you decide to make this simple project on your own, make certain that you take a picture afterward and tag us on social media as we love seeing the fabrics and color choices that people use!
- Use the free flapper dress pattern to cut out the fabric.
- Pin front and back of the dress for each tier at the side seams. Sew.
- Repeat overlay front and back right sides together for each tier.
- Fold straps right sides together and sew. Turn right sides out.
- Pin the straps to the Tier 1 Overlay,1/2” away from the armhole curve. Repeat for all the straps. Baste the straps in place.
- Turn the Tier 1 Overlay wrong side out, turn the dress tier wrong side out. Insert the overlay inside the dress layer, align at the neck and arms, pin, and sew.
- Hem tier 1 overlay by folding it 1/4” and another 1/4” and sew.
- Hem tier 2,3,4 overlays in the same way.
- Also, hem Dress tier 4 in the same manner.
- Sew a gathering stitch in overlay tiers 2,3,4 and pull on the gathering threads
- Place the overlay layer on top of the dress layer as follows so that both layers are right sides up. Place overlay 2 to dress tier 2, overlay 3 to dress tier 3, overlay 4 to dress tier 4.
- Gather the fabric so the two layers are the same size.
- Fold back the overlay layer for tier 2 and prepare to attach tier 3
- Pin tier 3 to tier 2
- Repeat the same process to sew tiers 3 and 4 together.
- Enjoy your cute flapper dress!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Best Beginner Sewing Machines
Fiskars Crafts 95237097J Rotary Sewing Cutting Set (3 Piece), Grey
4-Pack Turquoise All Purpose Sewing Thread
LIVINGO Premium Tailor Scissors Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose Titanium Coating Forged Stainless Steel Sewing Fabric Leather Dressmaking Softgrip Shears Professional Crafting (9.5 INCH)