DIY Wool Dryer Balls
Did you know dryer sheets and fabric softeners are made with chemicals that transfer to your clothes? You can easily make DIY wool dryer balls at home that are chemical free and ready to use again and again. They will save your peace of mind and your money!
This project could not be easier. They are made of yarn but no knitting, crocheting or sewing is involved. DIY wool dryer balls only take a few minutes of your time to make, then the dryer does all the work. I promise it’s easy!
Toss a few of the balls in the dryer with a load of clothes, towels or linens. The balls tumble against the textiles to soften them naturally, without the use of chemicals. You’ll never buy fabric softener!
Supplies for DIY Wool Dryer Balls
Both worsted and 100% wool yarn will work to make DIY wool dryer balls, however the worsted wool felts a little better. Be sure to read the wrapper of your skein of yarn to make sure it is 100% wool. A blend of wool and acrylic will not work. In fact, placing acrylic yarn in a dryer can be a fire hazard.
How to Make DIY Wool Dryer Balls
First, find the beginning of your skein of yarn, and wrap it around your fingers 10-15 times.
Next, slip the yarn from your fingers and pinch it closed in the middle. Wrap the yarn around the middle about 10 times.
This is the beginning of your dryer ball. Keep wrapping yarn around the ball, going in different directions as you wrap, until it is about the size of a baseball.
Then cut the yarn from the skein. Using your crochet needle, push the end of the yarn into one end of the ball.
Now cut off the leg of your pantyhose, and tie a knot in the foot. Push a yarn ball into the hose, and tie another knot. Repeat for as many balls that will fit. Tie the open end of the pantyhose in a knot.
Wash your pantyhose and yarn balls in the washing machine on hot. Then transfer them to the dryer, and dry on the hottest setting. This is where the yarn will become felted. It fuses the yarn together until it becomes solid in appearance.
Tip: Add a few towels to the dryer to decrease the noise of the balls bouncing around in an empty dryer.
Cut the pantyhose to reveal your DIY wool dryer balls. If you’d like, you can add a few drops of essential oil to lightly scent your laundry during use.
To use, add your reusable DIY wool dryer balls to the dryer to soften clothes.
- Wrap yarn around fingers 10-15 times.
- Slip yarn from the fingers and pinch closed.
- Wrap yarn around the middle 10 times.
- Continue to wrap yarn around the ball in different directions, until it is the size of a baseball.
- Cut the end of the yarn.
- Use crochet needle to push the end of the yarn into the ball.
- Cut the leg off the pantyhose.
- Tie a knot in the foot of the pantyhose.
- Push a yarn ball into the pantyhose, and tie a knot. Repeat for as many balls as will fit.
- Tie the end of the pantyhose into a knot.
- Wash the balls and pantyhose in the washing machine with hot water.
- Transfer the balls to they dryer, and dry on hottest setting.
- Both worsted and 100% wool yarn will work, however the worsted yarn has better felting results.
- Do not use yarn containing acryclic.
- Add a few towels to the dryer cycle to minimize noise.
- Essential oils can be added as a last step for fragrance.
Patons Classic Wool Yarn - Medium Gauge 100% Wool - 3.5oz - Seafoam - For Crochet, Knitting & Crafting
L'eggs Women's Everyday Regular Panty Hose
BCMRUN 14 pcs Multicolor Aluminum Crochet Hooks Knitting Needles Craft Yarn 2-10mm
AmazonBasics Multipurpose Office Scissors - 3-Pack
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.