This week, you’ll learn how to make DIY Dog Toys – Jean Dog Ball with Free Pattern. Because your four-legged best friend deserves to have some fun as well! This simple pattern takes a short amount of time to make and will bring so much happiness and joy to your pup. You can easily make several of these with your jeans and even make some to share with all your dog-loving friends, too.
These DIY Dog Toys are so much fun to make. (and I’m certain that your dog is going to think so as well!) Have fun making up this easy sewing project! Here are the steps to make your own fun chew toys!
What You’ll Need:
- Denim fabric (used an old pair of jeans)
- Cotton filling (you will need a few handfuls depending on how firm you want the ball)
- Sewing Machine
- Chalk or Marker
- Free Pattern
How To Make DIY Dog Toys – Jean Dog Ball with Free Pattern
Start this fun sewing tutorial by printing and cutting out your pattern. Cut it out on the outer edge. If you want a slightly smaller ball, you could cut on the inside line.
Lay your pattern on the backside of the denim and pin it in place. Then, trace around it using chalk or a fabric marker.
Cut out the shape along the inside of the chalk mark.
Now, just repeat these last two steps so that you have a total of five pieces cut out.
Take two of the pieces and line the edges up with the backsides of the fabric touching. Pin the edge together.
Next on this DIY Dog Toys – Jean Dog Ball tutorial, it’s time to sew! Sew the pinned pieces together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. That is about the edge of the foot lined with the edge of the fabric. Start about 1/4 inch from the end and stop about 1/4 inch from the end. Be sure to do a backstitch at the start and finish.
Repeat the last two steps until all the pieces are connected together with one seam still open. We are about halfway through this DIY Dog Toys – Jean Dog Ball with Free Pattern sewing tutorial! It’s really starting to take shape!
On the last seam to stitch one side of the ball to the other, we want to pin them together so there is about a 3/4 to 1 inch opening in the middle.
Sew that with the same 1/4 inch seam allowance, making sure to leave that middle area open for turning in the next step.
Next on this DIY Dog Toys – Jean Dog Ball sewing tutorial, turn the whole thing inside out through that small opening.
Once you have turned it inside out, flatten the open ends so all the pieces are lined up. Then sew straight across them. You want to sew about 1/2 inch from the end. Do this at both ends.
Through that small opening again, turn the whole thing back so it is right side out. You can use a turning tool or a pencil to help push it out.
Now on this DIY Dog Toys – Jean Dog Ball with Free Pattern sewing tutorial, it’s time to stuff the chew toy. Through that opening you turned it through, stuff the cotton filling inside the ball. Fill it to the fullness you would like.
Now to finish it off, stitch the opening closed using a needle and thread. No need to break out the sewing machine for this.
And that’s it! Now you have a cute DIY Jean Dog Ball Toy! Since they’re fast and easy to make, you can easily make up several and then gift them throughout the year. We totally get that it’s fun to spoil your dog but did you know that these make great gifts for other dogs, too.
What happens if my machine won’t sew through denim?
You just need to make certain that you have a good needle. As long as your needle is sharp, the force of the sewing machine and the needle shouldn’t be an issue.
Can I make these chew toys and not use denim?
There is a reason we use jeans as the main fabric in this sewing tutorial. This is because the dog’s teeth are going to break through other fabric choices way too easily. The denim is a strong material which is what makes this project doable. Their teeth won’t rip through denim like they would through cotton or other fabrics such as that.
Can you wash these dog toys?
You can. Since they’re made of denim, you can easily just toss them in the washing machine to clean. And if your dog slobbers like our dog slobbers, this is a very good thing! You’re going to want to clean these toys all the time.
I also don’t really see a problem in drying them either since they’re going to be being chewed up by your pooch. They should hold up in the washer and the dryer without any type of issues at all.
If you’ve ever been invited to a pup’s birthday, this would be prime time for that. And don’t forget that animals like to celebrate holidays like Christmas and Easter as well so these dog toys would make the perfect gift for those times as well. If there’s a dog in your life that you want to spoil, these DIY dog toys are a perfect choice. And we have a feeling that the dogs are going to think so as well.
If you loved learning how to make these DIY Dog Toys – Jean Dog Ball with Free Pattern as I did just pin this to your favorite easy Do-it-yourself ideas board on Pinterest so you can find it again quickly when you’re ready! Be sure to tag us on social media as we love seeing what our readers make and seeing the fabric they choose!
- Denim Fabric (used an old pair of jeans)
- Cotton Filling (you will need at least a few handfuls but will depend on how hard you want the ball to be)
- Free Printable Pattern
- Cut out the pattern along the outer edge. If you want a slightly smaller ball you could cut on the inside line.
- Pin pattern to the backside of the denim. Then trace around it using chalk.
- Cut out the shape along the inside of the chalk mark.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 for a total of five pieces
- Line the edges of two pieces up with the backsides of the fabric touching. Pin in place.
- Sew the pinned pieces together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Start about 1/4 inch from the end and stop about 1/4 inch from the end.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 until all the pieces are connected together with one seam still open.
- On the last seam to stitch one side of the ball to the other, pin them together so there is about a 3/4 to 1 inch opening in the middle.
- Sew that with the same 1/4 inch seam allowance making sure to leave that middle area open.
- Now through that small opening turn the whole thing inside out.
- Flatten the open ends so all the pieces are lined up.
- Then sew straight across them. You want to sew about 1/2 inch from the end. Do this at both ends.
- Through that small opening again, turn the whole thing back so it is right side out.
- Through that opening stuff the filling inside the ball. Fill it to the fullness you would like.
- Using a needle and thread, stitch the opening closed.
- You're done! Time to play with your pup!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crafts 4 ALL Permanent Fabric Marker Laundry Marker
Best Beginner Sewing Machines
Fiskars Crafts 95237097J Rotary Sewing Cutting Set (3 Piece), Grey
4-Pack Turquoise All Purpose Sewing Thread
LIVINGO Premium Tailor Scissors Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose Titanium Coating Forged Stainless Steel Sewing Fabric Leather Dressmaking Softgrip Shears Professional Crafting (9.5 INCH)