We love bringing you new sewing projects you can use and wear every day. Today we have one that will save you money and time doing laundry. Today on Happiest Camper, I’m going to show you How To Sew A Reversible Tank Top With Free Pattern! Perfect for helping you coordinate your wardrobe for work or play. I love clothing that is reversible because you can two different items in one. I make this reversible tank top with red and black fabric, but you could use coordinating prints or even use a solid color on one side and a print on the other. The included free printable pattern takes out the headache of cutting out your fabric. When my sewing friend, Debbie, showed me this pattern, I couldn’t wait to try it. I haven’t made any reversible clothing before and was anxious to try it. This is a great project for anyone wanting to do the same and take their sewing skills to the next level. Plus, you can make this for much cheaper than you could find something similar in-store. I’ve already gotten lots of compliments on mine and I love it.
Gather up your supplies from the list below and let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
- 3/4 Yard 60″ Wide Fabric (one side) – knit with 50% horizontal & vertical stretch: cotton, lycra, double brushed poly, athletic knit, rib knit
- 3/4 Yard 60″ Wide Fabric (other side) – same as above
- Free Reversible Tank Top Pattern
- Matching Thread
- Optional Rotary Cutter & Mat
- Measuring tape
- Thread nippers
- Sewing machine
- Fabric marker
- Safety Pin
This pattern is drafted for a height of 5’ 4”- 5” 5” so you may need to length or shorten the pattern if required. If you need to adjust the pattern, be sure to check our post on Pattern Grading – How to Scale a Pattern Up and Down!
This tank top pattern has layers, so that you can choose to print only the size you need. To achieve this Adobe Reader must be installed on your machine or device. Adobe Reader allows you to click on the layers icon which will show you each size with an eyeball beside it. Click on the eyeball beside the size you do not want to print.
Before printing check that your printer is set to No scaling or Actual size. Set the Page orientation to Auto or Portrait. And then print page 1. Measure the 2” test square to see if it measures exactly 2”. If it does, print the remaining pages.
Cut off the right and top margins of each printed page before assembling the pattern. You can use tape or school glue to adhere your paper pattern together.
After the pages have been printed and trimmed as instructed above, use the quarter circles located at the corner of each page for perfect alignment. When done your pattern should look like this:
Pattern Pieces Checklist
Once you have printed and assembled your pattern you will cut:
- Front Bodice – Cut one on the fold for each color
- Back Bodice – Cut one on the fold for each color
- Straps- Cut 2 for each color
Use a 1/4” seam allowance unless otherwise instructed.
Where applicable, sew all knits with a stretch stitch such as a zigzag or a lightning stitch. Always use a ball point needle when sewing knits. Finish all raw edges with a serger or zigzag stitch.
How To Sew A Reversible Tank Top With Free Pattern
Start this how to sew a reversible tank top with free pattern sewing tutorial by washing, drying, and ironing your fabric. This process acts as a preshrink for your fabric so that your stitches to do pull out the first time you wash your tank top. I do this with all my clothing sewing projects. Once you have done that, use the included free pattern to cut out your fabric pieces according to the cut list above.
Next, pin opposite color straps right sides together along the long ends. Sew along both long ends using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
Using a safety pin turn right side out. Repeat for the other strap.
Now on this reversible tank top with free pattern tutorial, take your same color Tank front and back and pin the right sides together. Sew the sides seams.
Repeat for the other tank pieces.
Pin the straps to the shoulder of the Tank Front right sides together, ensuring the side of the straps laying on the tank is the same color as the tank.
Align the side seams and shoulders of the two tank tops and pin the armholes and necks together.
Sew the neck and the armhole areas of the tank.
The next step on this reversible tank top with free pattern tutorial is to reach between the tank tops and locate the strap, pull the strap to the outside, and insert it between the tanks again ensuring that the tank colors match when pinning.
Be sure it is not twisted.
Sew all four shoulder seams, backstitching to secure.
Separate the tank tops so that they are wrong sides out. Locate the side seam of each tank.
Place each color tank right sides together at the hemline, matching the sides seams. Pin. Keep pinning around the entire tank.
Sew the hem of the tank leaving a 2” opening to turn the tank right sides out.
Turn the tank right sides out, fold in the seam allowance of the opening and topstitch around the entire tank with a stretch stitch to secure. Use opposite thread colors in your sewing machine to match the color of your tank.
And that’s it! Now you know how to sew a reversible tank top with free pattern! You have a cute tank top you can wear all summer long or pair with our kimono cardigan when the weather starts to cool. This is a fun top and having two-in-one is a nice bonus. Make a few of these to compliment your growing DIY wardrobe.
If you liked learning how to sew a reversible tank top with free pattern, make sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board or share it with friends on social media. If you decide to make this simple project on your own, make certain that you take a picture afterward and tag us on social media as we love seeing the fabrics and color choices that people use!
- Use included free pattern to cut out fabric pieces.
- With right sides together, pin opposite color straps together along the long ends.
- Sew along both long ends.
- Using a safety pin turn right side out.
- Repeat for the other strap.
- Take your same color Tank front and back and pin the right sides together. Sew the sides seams.
- Repeat for the other tank pieces.
- Pin the straps to the shoulder of the Tank Front right sides together, ensuring the side of the straps laying on the tank is the same color as the tank.
- Align side seams and shoulders and pin the armholes and necks together.
- Sew the neck and the armhole areas of the tank.
- Reach between the tank tops and locate the strap, pull the strap to the outside and insert it between the tanks again ensuring that the tank colors match when pinning. Be sure it is not twisted.
- Sew all four shoulder seams, backstitching to secure.
- Separate the tank tops so that they are wrong sides out.
- Locate the side seam of each tank.
- Place each color tank right sides together at the hemline, matching the sides seams.
- Pin. Keep pinning around the entire tank.
- Sew the hem of the tank leaving a 2” opening to turn the tank right sides out.
- Turn the tank right sides out, fold in the seam allowance of the opening and topstitch around the entire tank with a stretch stitch to secure.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
100 Yard 1/4 Inch Wide Elastic String Cord Bands Rope for Sewing Crafts DIY Masks, Clothes and Home Decoration (Black)
4-Pack Turquoise All Purpose Sewing Thread
Pinking Shears for Fabric, Zig Zag Scissors, Ergonomic Grips, Ultra-Sharp, Professional Peaking Shears for Sewing, Craft, Dressmaking, 9 Inch, Black
Fiskars Crafts 95237097J Rotary Sewing Cutting Set (3 Piece), Grey